Health Tip: Keep Battery-Powered Devices Away From Kids

Related Links

(HealthDay News) -- So-called "button" batteries power many of the devices that keep little ones interested, so it's important to take steps to protect kids from ingesting these batteries.

The Children's National Medical Center offers this advice for parents:

  • Restrict access to any devices that use "button" and larger batteries, including remote controls, flameless candles, musical cards and pocket calculators.
  • If you think your child may have swallowed a battery, seek immediate help from a medical professional. Do not induce vomiting or give your child any food or drink unless so advised by a medical professional.
  • Recognize symptoms of ingesting a battery, which may include coughing, drooling or discomfort.

Call 877-RES-INFO for Nurse Advice, Doctor Referrals or Class Registration Monday - Friday 8 am to 8 pm • Weekends 8 am to 4pm

Special Features

  • We need your voice!

    Our legislators are tackling issues that impact on our ability to live our mission. Learn more »