Stroke - Statistics of Stroke
More about stroke/brain attack:
Consider the following statistics regarding strokes:
- Stroke is the third largest cause of death, ranking behind diseases of the heart and all forms of cancer.
- Almost every 40 seconds in the United States, a person experiences a stroke.
- Over 4 million US adults live today with the effects of a stroke.
- The American Stroke Association, a division of the American Heart Association, estimates strokes cost the US $68.9 billion in 2009.
- Women account for about 6 in 10 stroke deaths.
- Black males have almost twice the risk of a first-ever stroke compared with white males.
- Hispanics have an increased risk of stroke compared with non-Hispanic whites.
- Each year about 795,000 people suffer a new or recurrent stroke in the US.
- Stroke accounts for about 1 out of every 17 deaths in the US.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Heart Center
Disclaimer - This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information provided is intended to be informative and educational and is not a replacement for professional evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2009 Staywell Custom Communications.