What is mold?
Mold is a member of the fungus family. It is a branching-type of growth called hyphae. It is rarely destroyed by heat or cold exposure, but remains dormant until a particular season, such as spring or fall, when it grows and thrives.
Where does mold grow?
Mold lives in moist conditions where there is oxygen and other chemicals. Places mold may be found most often include the following:
- on dead or dying vegetation
- moist, shady areas
- rotting leaves and logs
- damp basements and closets
- food storage areas
- house plants
- air conditioners and humidifiers
- upholstered furniture
- garbage containers
What is mold allergy?
Mold spores or fragments may be inhaled through the nose and into the lungs where they cause allergic reactions or asthma.
Mold may also be eaten in foods, including the following:
- cheeses processed by fungi
- dried fruits
- foods containing yeast
- soy sauce
There is no known relationship between allergy to the mold Penicillium and allergy to the antibiotic penicillin, which is made from the mold. Consult your child's physician for more information.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology
Disclaimer - This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information provided is intended to be informative and educational and is not a replacement for professional evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2009 Staywell Custom Communications.