Avoiding insect stings may not always be possible. However, knowing how to respond should your child experience an allergic reaction from an insect sting, could provide more peace of mind in the event of an emergency.
Insect stings that most commonly cause allergic reactions:
Insects that are members of the Hymenopteran family most commonly cause allergic reactions. These include the following:
- yellow jackets
- fire ants
What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to an insect sting?
For most children, when stung by an insect, the reaction is short-lived, with redness and swelling followed by pain and itching. Generally, the reaction lasts only a few hours, although some may last longer. For others, however, allergic reactions to these insect stings can be life threatening. This severe reaction is a medical emergency that can involve organ systems throughout the body. The reaction is called anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock, and can include severe symptoms such as the following:
- itching and hives over most of the body
- swelling of the throat and tongue
- difficulty in breathing and tightness in the chest
- stomach cramps, nausea, or diarrhea
- rapid drop in blood pressure
- loss of consciousness
- hoarse voice or swelling of the tongue
Immediate medical attention is required.
Can insect stings be prevented?
Avoidance of insects is the best preventive measure. Suggestions for helping your child avoid insect stings include the following:
- When outdoors, make sure your child is careful of eating or drinking uncovered foods or beverages, which can attract insects.
- Keep your child from going barefoot. He/she should wear closed-toe shoes when walking in grassy areas.
- When playing outdoors, make sure you and your child watch for insect nests in trees, shrubs, and flower beds. Other areas in which to use caution include swimming pools, woodpiles, under eaves of houses, and trash containers.
Treatment for insect stings:
Specific treatment for insect stings will be determined by your child's physician based on the following:
- your child's age, overall health, and medical history
- extent of the reaction
- your child's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
- expectations for the course of the reaction
- your opinion or preference
Suggestions for immediate treatment for highly-allergic children, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, include the following:
- When possible, immediately remove the stinger, and scrape over the area with a fingernail. However, do not squeeze the area, which may force the venom into the body.
- An emergency treatment kit should be kept nearby at all times. Consult your child's physician about what it should include.
- Seek emergency care for your child as soon as possible.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology
Disclaimer - This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information provided is intended to be informative and educational and is not a replacement for professional evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2009 Staywell Custom Communications.