Purpose of Having Surgery
What is the purpose of surgery?
Surgery, whether elective or required, is done for a multitude of reasons. A patient may have surgery to:
- further explore the condition for the purpose of diagnosis.
- take a biopsy of a suspicious lump.
- remove diseased tissues or organs.
- remove an obstruction.
- reposition structures to their normal position.
- redirect channels.
- transplant tissue or whole organs.
- implant mechanical or electronic devices.
- improve physical appearance.
Click here to view the
Online Resources of Surgical Care
Disclaimer - This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information provided is intended to be informative and educational and is not a replacement for professional evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. © 2009 Staywell Custom Communications.