Weight Loss Surgery & Bariatric Procedures
Our specialized team of bariatric surgeons perform weight loss surgeries that have produced positive results for thousands of patients. These bariatric procedures have been proven to result in substantial weight loss and to help reduce or eliminate the effects of weight-related health problems.
For your convenience, pre-surgery medical work like your blood draw, chest x-ray and EKG can be done at your local healthcare facility. Surgery is performed at our Chicago weight loss center at Saint Joseph Hospital in the Lakeview neighborhood. This facility has been nationally and locally recognized for its superior safety record.
- NEW Laparoscopic Gastric Plication - A new, innovative and investigational procedure, this procedure is the least invasive bariatric surgery procedure at this time and does not require the use of a device, such as a LAP-BAND, that is left inside the body. It is a minimally invasive approach that simply requires folding the stomach and stitching it up to reduce its size and limit food intake, without actually cutting the stomach or removing any parts of it. You'll feel full and satisfied after eating very little. And, if ever necessary, the surgery is reversible.
- Laparoscopic LAP-BAND - Performed either by a single incision or five small incisions, an adjustable band is placed around the upper part of the stomach to help you feel fuller, faster. The band is gradually tightened, causing you to eat less and lose weight. There is no cutting or stapling of the stomach, which means this weight loss surgery can be performed as an outpatient procedure.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass - The most widely used bariatric procedure, gastric bypass surgery divides the stomach to create a small "pouch," while simultaneously reducing the length of small intestine available for absorption. As a result, you eat less and absorb less; causing fast, significant weight loss.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy - Using either a single incision or five small incisions, this procedure involves the surgical removal of most of the stomach (80%), resulting in a "sleeve" that is roughly the size and shape of a banana. As with the other procedures, your reduced stomach capacity causes you to eat less and lose weight.
- Revisional Bariatric Surgery - Occasionally, some patients experience problems with a previous bariatric surgery or find they are not able to lose the expected amount of weight. For these people, our experts can perform a follow-up procedure, known as revisional bariatric surgery. This is a corrective surgery that can protect your health and get you back on the right track.
Single-Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS)
SILS, or single-incision laparoscopic surgery, is a minimally invasive, advanced technique that requires only one small incision and leaves virtually no scar. SILS is available for the following procedures:
- Laparoscopic LAP-BAND
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Find out more information about these procedures at one of our free weight loss seminars.