Subacute Rehabilitation and Skilled Nursing Care: Ballard Rehabilitation
9300 Ballard Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Ballard Rehabilitation, a nationally-recognized subacute care provider, has served the community for more than 35 years. Our care philosophy combines medical excellence and expertise with a customized and totally patient-focused approach. The result is the highest quality, most effective subacute care for medically complex and rehabilitation patients. In November, 2011, we became part of Presence Life Connections.
- Admissions 24 hours a day, and direct admissions without hospitalization
- Rehabilitative therapy 7 days a week (including PT, OT, ST)
- Trauma care and rehabilitation
- General medical rehabilitation
- Orthopedic rehabilitation
- Neurological rehabilitation
- 24-hour complex respiratory care
- Ventilator care and weaning
- Recuperative care/post-surgical recovery, including post-organ transplant care
- Complex IV antibiotic therapy
- Parenteral and enteral nutritional therapy
- Complex wound care
- On-site hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Client and caregiver training
- Nurse liaisons ensure that a close link is maintained between the hospital, the physician and Ballard
- In-house staff case manager / social services
- Podiatry and dental care
- Hospice care
- Staff dietician
At Ballard, each rehabilitation patient is evaluated for skilled services on admission with individualized plan of care developed and ready to be implemented. Our rehabilitation patients maintain and continue to improve levels of mobility and dexterity once they return home. The case managers/social services acts as a resource for the patients and families in the coordination of care. Coordination of a discharge plan and working with community resources to ensure a successful return to a community setting is the hallmark of this program.
The Our Town rehabilitation center is a simulated community that includes a bank, supermarket, gazebo, sidewalks with different surfaces, cross walk and traffic signal, and a car with gas pump. Our Town offers patients the opportunity to receive therapy in the settings where they will be functioning and affords the patients the practice they need to be successful. We also offer a fully functional apartment that allows patients to practice overcoming obstacles in the home. The program's success is reflected in outcomes: Patients complete their rehabilitation in less time and achieve higher independence scores.
Outstanding medical staff
Under the direction of Steve Wolfman, D.O., Vice President of Medical Affairs, Ballard's medical staff members participate in a rigorous process of privileging and credentialing. The medical staff includes Medical Directors that provide the leadership for the various medical and health programs that are offered.
Other services and amenities:
- Private short-term rehabilitation rooms
- Recreational services, including exercise programs, discussion groups, field trips, service projects, religious services, arts and crafts, games and our infamous Passage to Discovery, which simulates cruises to other countries. Programs may be customized based on the interest of the patient.
- Meals, including homemade entrees and freshly-baked breads and cakes, prepared by the in-house chef and dietary staff. All meals are adapted to any health restriction and alternative entrees are available for the particular resident. Guest trays are available upon request for a nominal fee.
- A licensed in-house social worker and departmental staff provide social services, supporting the needs of residents and families.
- Spiritual services: We strive to offer ongoing services for all denominations. Weekly programs are offered in conjunction with local religious groups. Dedicated chaplain on-site.
- Spiritual services for all residents, as well as Catholic Mass, Communion Services, Rosary and devotions.
- Each patient is assigned a dedicated Manager as their Guardian Angel.
- Beauty shop, free Wi-Fi, cable and telephone.
Managed Care Contracts
In addition to Medicare and Medicaid, Ballard has contracts with many health insurance and managed care plans. Click here for the current list.
Ballard serves the following communities:
- Des Plaines
- Park Ridge
- Morton Grove
- Mount Prospect
- Prospect Heights
- Downers Grove
- Oak Brook
- ...and many others!
Licenses and Certifications
Ballard Rehabilitation is licensed by the State of Illinois Department of Public Health, and it is Medicare and Medicaid certified.
Accredited by The Joint Commission.
It is the policy of Presence Life Connections to provide service to all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, familial status, military status or disability.