The Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ founded Saint Elizabeth Hospital in 1887 to care for German immigrants. In 1894 the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth established Saint Mary of Nazareth Hospital Center to care for Polish immigrants. As time passed and neighborhoods changed, these two Catholic health care ministries worked side by side to care for everyone who lived in their service communities.
On March 1, 2001, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and the Sisters of the Resurrection entered into an agreement to co-sponsor Resurrection Health Care. With this agreement, Saint Mary of Nazareth Hospital Center and Holy Family Health Medical Center became part of the co-sponsored system.
On October 1, 2001, The Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ transferred their sponsorship of Saint Elizabeth Hospital to the Resurrection Health Care System.
On September 1, 2003, Saint Mary of Nazareth Hospital Center and Saint Elizabeth Hospital integrated under a new name, Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center — with a new Chief Executive Officer, Margaret McDermott.
With a unified medical staff and an integrated management team, the medical center is dedicated to serving the community and strengthening its Catholic health care ministry for the next 100 years. Today, our medical center is a leading community employer with more than 2,100 employees, and about 530 physicians in 39 specialties on staff.