Maternity/The Family Birthplace
Saint Joseph Hospital
The Family Birthplace
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60657
The Family Birthplace at Presence Saint Joseph Hospital delivers high-touch, high-tech care "one family at a time." High-touch refers to an expert team of board-certified physicians, specialists, nurses and other caregivers who offer patients personalized, one-on-one care before, during and after pregnancy. High-tech care can be seen in the advanced technology available on the unit, including a sophisticated fetal monitoring system and state-of-the-art ultrasound capability.
At Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, we believe in pampering our new moms. We provide new robes and toiletries for them. We also want to make sure our new moms get plenty of rest after they deliver. Each afternoon, the mothers enjoy a quiet hour with no hospital staff interruptions while the baby is in the nursery. At the end of the quiet time, we serve tea and scones to the moms.
The highest level of care
Saint Joseph Hospital is designated a Level III Perinatal Facility by the Illinois Department of Public Health. This is the highest designation a hospital can receive. It means we have the capacity to care for high-risk mothers and premature babies. What does this mean for your care?
- Ability to care for premature infants as young as 23 weeks gestation in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Equipped to deal with complications such as low-birth weight, congenital abnormalities, infants receiving ventilator assistance, or who require surgery. A pediatric surgeon has performed onsite the first patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) surgery – a heart procedure – on a 1-pound, 14-ounce baby who was born 14 weeks premature. With the Level III designation, the hospital can now provide the PDA ligation, gastrointestinal and esophageal surgeries, and several other major surgical procedures. Read more about the first onsite PDA surgery.
- Staffed around the clock by a multidisciplinary team of neonatologists, specially trained obstetricians, pediatricians, dietitians, respiratory therapists, and nurses.
- Experienced in high-risk pregnancies, including women over age 40, women carrying multiples, women suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure or other complications
- Provide support services, including radiology, neurology, cardiology, and surgical services.
- Labor-delivery-recovery-post-partum (LDRP) Suites - Stay in the same room with your new family and enjoy the comforts of home with a TV/VCR, fold-out bed for a visitor and shower.
- 24-hour Anesthesiologist and Neonatologist - Our anesthesiologists and high-risk newborn specialist are available around the clock.
- Dedicated Maternal/Child Educator - Have questions or want to schedule a tour? Just contact our Maternal/Child Educator at 773-665-3605 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lactation Specialists and Consultations Available
- Gestational Diabetes Education and Support
- Community Health and Education Classes - We offer an extensive list of programs, including Prepared Childbirth (Weekday and Weekend) in English and Spanish, Infant/Child CPR, Newborn Care, Sibling Preparation, Breastfeeding and more.
Learn more about upcoming Community Health and Education programs.
Want more information?
Look through our interactive tools page to quizzes, clinical wizards, and more!
- Due Date Calculator
- Family and Prenatal Classes
- Healthy Pregnancy Guide
- Free Cord Blood Services
- Pain Management Center
Online Registration for The Family Birthplace
Because we know you have lots to do before the delivery of your baby, we want to ensure the birth of your baby is one you'll always remember and treasure.
That's why we offer online registration.
Or, if you'd like to print the form, simply complete it and bring it with you at the time you register.
If you either have questions or need more information, please call the registrar at 773-665-3543 or the maternal/child educator at 773-665-3605.