Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Program
Saint Joseph Hospital
1525 West Belmont Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657
At the Rehabilitation and Fitness Center, we have created a comprehensive rehabilitation program for women recovering from breast cancer. Our physical and occupational therapy staff is dedicated to meeting the unique needs of breast cancer patients and helping them return to optimal health and lifestyle.
Our program is designed for any woman who has had treatment for breast cancer, or who has experienced persistent problems since surgery, including pain, swelling, weakness, decreased mobility, or impaired function.
After performing a thorough evaluation, the therapist will design a customized exercise and education program to meet the individual needs of the patient based on the current stage of treatment. In addition, on-going therapy services are available for patients with more involved shoulder dysfunction or lymphedema.
With the goal of maximizing a patient's functional level and preventing any limiting disabilities, our program includes:
- Manual therapy to manage soft tissue restrictions and scar tissue
- Modalities for pain control (moist heat, cold packs, electrical stimulation, ultrasound)
- Therapeutic exercise to restore range of motion, flexibility and strength
- Patient education regarding posture, body mechanics, and returning to daily functions
- Patient support and education to identify and manage risk factors (including lymphedema prevention)
To learn more about our program, please contact Charlene Giraldo, OTR/L, CLT, at the Rehabilitation and Fitness Center, (773) 525-7868, 1525 West Belmont, Chicago, IL 60657.