Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60657
Diagnosis and Treatment
At Saint Joseph Hospital, endocrinologists, nurse educators and dieticians, in affiliation with other specialists, provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of a variety of hormonal disturbances. These include diseases of the pancreas, thyroid, parathyroid, ovaries, testes, pituitary and adrenal glands. Some of these diseases are treated in an inpatient setting while others can be managed on an outpatient basis.
Saint Joseph Hospital also offers nationally recognized diabetes education and services.
Areas of Expertise/Common Symptoms
Endocrinologists provide care for patients with the following conditions:
- Thyroid diseases
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Pituitary diseases
- Cushing’s syndrome
- Endocrine Hypertension
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and other lipids)
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Gynecomastia (increased breast tissue)
A multi-disciplinary team works together to care for patients and includes:
- Physicians - The endocrinologists affiliated with Saint Joseph Hospital are board-certified in their area of specialty and provide a state-of-the-art approach in the management of endocrine diseases and diabetes. Endocrinologists provide consulting services to other specialists who are treating patients admitted for conditions complicated by endocrine diseases, including diabetes.
- Diabetic Nurses Educators - While every nurse at Saint Joseph Hospital is trained in the management of diabetes and assisting patients with the disease, the hospital offers nurses and dieticians with advanced diabetic training.
- Registered Dieticians - At Saint Joseph Hospital, dieticians are available for consultation during hospitalization or on an outpatient basis. Some of the dieticians are specially trained to manage diabetes.
Saint Joseph Hospital offers a variety of tests to diagnose various hormonal abnormalities, including:
- Laboratory services
- CT Scan
- MRI Scan
- PET Scan
- Technetium and Iodine Thyroid Scan
- Sestamibi (Parathyroid) Scan
- Bone Densitometry
At Saint Joseph Hospital, board-certified endocrinologists and radiologists are able to perform thyroid biopsy with or without ultrasound. On-site evaluation of specimens is provided by a board-certified pathologist.
Saint Joseph Hospital has experienced general surgeons, head and neck surgeons and neurosurgeons who work as a team with endocrinologists to treat a variety of conditions.
This form of therapy is used for treating some benign thyroid conditions and some forms of thyroid cancer. Low-dose radioiodine therapy is provided on an outpatient basis for patients with overactive thyroid. High-dose radioiodine therapy is offered to patients with thyroid cancer who require hospitalization. This form of therapy is administered by a nuclear medicine specialist in consultation with an endocrinologist or other specialist.
Comprehensive Diabetes Education and Support
The Diabetes Education Program has a health care team of registered nurses, a registered dietician and a certified insulin pump instructor who work with physicians to ensure patients receive the knowledge and skills they need to successfully manage their diabetes.
The diabetes education team develops an individualized program based on every patient’s medical and educational needs, taking into account behavioral goals. Program topics include:
- Diabetes Overview
- Oral Medication Use
- Insulin Administration
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Management During Pregnancy
- Insulin Pump Therapy
Registration and Referral
A physician referral is necessary to participate in the Diabetes Education Program and Nutritional Services Program. Call 877-RES-INFO (877-737-4636) to find a doctor near you.
Classes and Support Groups
For information about Diabetes classes and support groups, visit the Diabetes Education Program or call 773-665-6700.