Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60657
Saint Joseph Hospital is a cardiac-care leader in Chicago – and the nation. From primary care to specialty care, we have a proven record of clinical excellence. Many of our cardiologists are nationally recognized leaders and involved in research worldwide. This means patients have access to the latest clinical studies and medications. Getting patients back on track to feeling healthy and leading productive lives is our goal.
Our surgeons are dedicated caregivers with an excellent record of success. They’re experts in:
- Adult Cardiac Surgery - including Coronary Artery Bypass, Aortic Valve Replacement and Mitral Valve Repair or Replacement
- Vascular Surgery - including Carotid Endarterectomy, Peripheral Arterial Disease and Aortic Aneurysm Surgery
- General Thoracic Surgery
Bypass Surgery Program Earns Top Rating
Saint Joseph Hospital recently received a 3-star (highest) rating for overall coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), also known as bypass surgery, from The Society for Thoracic Surgeons (STS). The rating was based on data compiled and publicly reported from 2009-2011. Click here to view data on the STS website.
The hospital is only one of eight sites in Illinois to be listed as three stars on the STS public-reporting site. A 3-star rating designates the highest category of quality and means that bypass-surgery results are statistically better than the national mean. Only about 12 to 15 percent of participating U.S. hospitals receive the 3-star rating.
CABG is a procedure that involves using blood vessels from the patient’s leg, arm or chest wall to bypass blocked and narrowed arteries and restore adequate blood flow to the heart muscle. In 2011, about 145,000 CABG operations were reported by participating sites nationwide on the STS database. Read the news release about 3-star rating.
Learn more about the results of our cardiac surgeons from Lincoln Park Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons.
Your Heart is in the Right Place
With advanced diagnostics, the latest minimally invasive treatments, an expert cardiac team and a comprehensive rehabilitation program, Saint Joseph Hospital provides everything patients need for a healthy heart - and lifestyle. And, because we're recognized as a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care by the BlueCross BlueShield Association, you can be sure you're getting the superior service you need.
- Diagnostic Procedures - Saint Joseph Hospital offers a wide range of tests to diagnose individuals with cardiac conditions so that treatment can begin promptly. Appointments are conveniently available throughout the week and on Saturday.
- Pacemaker Clinic - Saint Joseph Hospital has a Pacemaker Clinic that provides specialized care to our heart patients.
- Minimally Invasive Techniques - Interventional cardiologists and cardiac surgeons work together to determine the most effective treatment plan for each patient. Whenever possible, minimally invasive procedures are performed and most patients are able to go home the next day if no further intervention is needed.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation - The cardiac rehabilitation program offers a comprehensive curriculum of exercise, education and support designed to help patients with heart disease to safely resume active and productive lives, and reduce the risk of further heart problems.
- Community Health and Education - Saint Joseph Hospital is committed to providing community health and education classes, and screenings. Individuals can register for Healthy Heart Screenings, which include information about diet, exercise and lifestyle modification from a board-certified cardiologist, dietitian and exercise physiologist. Screening exams for cholesterol, blood pressure and other disorders are also provided throughout the year.
Saint Joseph Hospital's cardiac surgery team includes highly trained and experienced clinical specialists, nurses and technicians who have worked together for more than 15 years. And, all of our cardiologists are fellowship trained or board-certified – so you can be sure your heart is in good hands. The team offers outstanding results with success rates for cardiac surgery that consistently meet or exceed predicted levels, and compare favorably to those from larger Chicagoland area teaching hospitals. Read more about our highly skilled cardiovascular-thoracic surgeons: Williams Bradshaw, M.D., and Robert Breyer, M.D.
In fact, the overall mortality rate for patients who had coronary artery bypass operations and/or cardiac valve repair and replacement procedures at Saint Joseph Hospital in 2006 was only 1 percent. Saint Joseph Hospital participates in the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) cardiac surgery database, which allows the hospital to benchmark its results against cardiac surgery programs throughout the United States.
Patient Information Sheets/Test Instructions
- 24-hour Ambulatory Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Cardiac Catheterization or Coronary Angiography
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT)
- Echocardiogram (Cardiac Ultrasound)
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Holter Monitoring
- Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator (ICD)
- Pacemaker Clinic Check-up
- Peripheral Angiogram
- Transesophageal Echocardiogram
- Transtelephonic Monitoring (TTM)
- Stress Tests
- Non-Walking Stress Tests
Want more information?
Look through our interactive tools page to quizzes, clinical wizards, and more!
Interactive Body - Multimedia Tools
Learn more about the heart treatment through these interactive, animated guides to common diseases and procedures: