Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60657
Orthopedic and sports medicine specialists at Saint Joseph Hospital use advanced technology to treat injuries involving bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves. Our team of experts develops customized treatment plans and offers individualized care that helps patients manage their condition more effectively. Our goal is to help patients recover quickly and avoid re-injury.
The board-certified orthopedic and sports medicine specialists on staff at Saint Joseph Hospital perform more than 1,000 orthopedic surgeries each year. Our hospital’s orthopedic surgeons have years of experience and high success rates performing procedures on many of Chicago’s athletic teams, including professional and high school athletes.
Treatment plans may include medical/surgical care, specialized therapies (physical, occupational, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic and spinal injection), athletic training and orthotics. Some of the conditions that may require the care of an orthopedic physician include:
- Back pain
- Bone and joint conditions
- Foot pain
- Hand pain
- Knee pain
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Work injuries
- Wrist pain
- Arthroscopic surgery is used to diagnose and treat injuries involving the ankles, elbows, knees, shoulders and wrists. Arthroscopy is minimally invasive and uses a small telescope to identify and treat a problem.
- Reconstructive surgery focuses on alleviating pain and restoring range of motion to the hips, pelvis and spine. The procedure can also be used to treat individuals with torn knee ligaments and cartilage.
- Total joint replacement surgery offers comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of all types of bone and joint problems, which involves removing and replacing a joint with specially designed artificial parts called prostheses.
Sports Medicine Procedures
We offer the most cutting-edge treatments to ensure patients’ recovery times are quick and painless as possible. Some of our offerings include:
- Platelet Rich Plasma Treatment (PRP) -Used to treat acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, PRP treatment works by injecting a patient’s own blood into a damaged joint or tendon to accelerate the body’s healing process.
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound -Provides aid in the diagnosis of various joint, tendon and nerve pathologies. Also used to accurately target injections and can help follow the course of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Injection Treatments -When other pain management techniques aren’t working, we have several injection options. Steroid injections and hyaluronic acid injections are available to treat osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and other conditions.
- Reconstructive Surgery - For alleviating pain and restoring range of motion, we have reconstructive and total joint replacement surgery capabilities.
Rehabilitation is performed on an outpatient basis and is overseen by a team of professionals, including an orthopedic surgeon, physiatrist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, exercise physiologist, sports medicine specialist and athletic trainer.
Rehabilitation programs may include physical or occupational therapy; exercise programs to stretch and strengthen; conditioning exercises to help further prevent injury; hot or cold applications and whirlpool treatments; braces, splints or casts to immobilize the injury; crutches or wheelchairs; pain management; and patient and family education.
Saint Joseph Hospital offers a bone density test (also known as dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry or DEXA) as a screening for osteoporosis, which is a disease of the bones. The test is painless and takes only a few minutes. Call the Central Scheduling Department at 773-665-3060.
For more information on our orthopedic and sports medicine services, call 877-RES-INFO (877-737-4636).