Saint Joseph Hospital
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60657
Cancer doesn't only change the life of a patient, it affects friends and loved ones as well. That's why we offer comprehensive support and education programs to help everyone cope with this complex condition.
- Patient Navigator - Hearing from your physician that you have cancer is a life-changing experience, one that will leave an indelible mark on your life and the lives of your family. We understand what a cancer diagnosis means, and our patient navigator, an experienced nurse, can help you through every step of your cancer care - from the moment you are diagnosed through treatment and follow-up support in the months ahead. Our patient navigator, who is similar to a hotel concierge, is available to answer questions, offer advice, resolve issues, make phone calls and even provide directions, if necessary. The service is an added comfort available to our cancer patients and families as a courtesy to make life easier, so patients can focus on what's important - their health. Learn more.
- Education - Nurse educators, including specialists who provide support to ostomy and mastectomy patients, are available to answer questions about your condition and your treatment plan. We also offer community education events and screenings.
- Nutrition - To help maintain your strength and build your body's natural defenses, we employ dietitians with a special focus in nutrition and cancer. They can work with you to design a diet that will complement your individual treatment plan. Learn more.
- Spiritual Services - A strong spiritual life may help you - and your family - better cope with the psychological and emotional affects of cancer. Not only can it reduce anxiety and depression, but also promote a sense of hope, courage and inner peace. Learn more.
The Center for Cancer Care has chaplains on staff to provide comfort, reflection and support to you and your family - regardless of your religious affiliation. We also have a licensed clinical social worker who can assess your family's needs and connect you with both hospital and community resources. Our social worker also helps with home care planning, placement with an appropriate support group or extended-care facility, and Advance Directive planning (the creation of living wills and assignment of medical power of attorney).
- Wellness Room - Our Wellness Room, which is near the Gift Shop on the first floor of the hospital, is the perfect place for quiet time and reflection. It features a meditation area and a small library with computer kiosks.
- Pain Center - While we try to make your cancer treatment as pain-free as possible, some discomfort may be unavoidable. To help address this, we have a Pain Center with expert staff that assists patients in managing and controlling their pain. The Center has physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians and anesthesiologists who specialize in the evaluation and management of acute and chronic pain and can develop an individualized treatment program.
- Horizon Hospice and Palliative Care - Through the Horizon Hospice and Palliative Care program, we deliver comprehensive care to terminally ill patients and their families throughout the Chicago area. Our "whole-person" approach is designed to alleviate physical suffering, while providing emotional comfort and the best possible quality of life.
Our inpatient palliative care services focus on pain and symptom management. Advance practice nurses, under the supervision of our physicians, can provide palliative care consultation in your home, nursing home or assisted-living facility.
Call 877-RES-INFO (877-737-4636) to get a referral or schedule an appointment.