Patient Navigator Services
We understand that being diagnosed with cancer is a life-changing experience, one that will leave an indelible mark on your life. Our patient navigators are Oncology Certified Nurses and are here to help you and your family through every step of your care-from diagnosis through treatment and follow-up support. They are available to answer questions, offer advice, resolve issues, make phone calls and even provide directions. Their service is an added comfort for you and your family during this difficult time so you can focus on what's important-your health.
Your Patient Navigator supports you by:
- Scheduling your doctor appointments and hospital tests and arranging transportation
- Helping you understand treatment options and test results
- Helping you manage side effects from medications and treatments
- Providing education on cancer care
- Identifying barriers and working to overcome them
- Connecting you to the "right" person for assistance
- Linking you up with social services, such as home health care
- Helping you obtain wigs and prostheses when needed
- Arranging appointments with a social worker, dietitian and other healthcare professionals
Meet Our Nurse Navigators
Wendy Starr, R.N., O.C.N.
Teresa L. Callahan, RN, OCN, CHPN
Teresa Callahan, RN, OCN, CHPN is the clinic nurse and navigator in SJH Radiation Oncology. Teresa has nursing experience in medical and radiation oncology, chemotherapy and biologic infusion, hospice, and clinical trials. Teresa assists cancer patients with the challenges of cancer and treatment. Explaining the disease process, assisting with appointments, helping to manage side effects, and finding support services are some of the ways she helps patients in her role as a navigator.
"My goal is to make the path through cancer as smooth as possible, and to give the level of care I would want my own family to receive."
To learn more about how our Patient Navigation Team can help you and your family, call 773-665-6992.