Resurrection Medical Center
7447 West Talcott Avenue
Chicago, IL 60631
Resurrection Medical Center is one of the leading providers of cancer care in Illinois, with a comprehensive program accredited and approved by the American College of Surgeons.
Many advances in cancer care have occurred during the past 10 years, resulting in a longer, higher quality of life for those with a cancer diagnosis. In fact, according to the American Cancer Society, over 10 million Americans diagnosed with cancer are alive today as a result of medical breakthroughs.
These advances allow physicians to diagnose cancer sooner and more accurately than previously possible. New minimally invasive treatments are generally faster, more effective, less painful and provide easier recovery.
Why choose Resurrection Medical Center for cancer care? You will find:
- Quality care close to home
- Access to the latest cancer fighting tools including TomoTherapy and PET scan
- A dedicated oncology team that uses a holistic approach
- Participation in national cancer research projects
- Transportation available to and from appointments for a fee
- Access to a variety of support services
The Presence Resurrection Medical Center cancer program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer. The Commission has partnered with the National Quality Forum (NQF), American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) to provide accredited cancer programs with performance measures and comparison data on an annual basis as a method to assess quality of care.
Performance measures give patients a way to assess health care quality compared to national standards. Measurements are a way to help patients know if they are receiving appropriate and high-quality care
Data comparing Presence Resurrection Medical Center to other hospitals in Illinois and all teaching hospital cancer programs in the United States show that our Cancer Center outcomes exceed state, regional and national quality measure benchmarks when compared with other accredited cancer programs in Illinois and nationally.
Resurrection Medical Center is committed to offering the most advanced diagnostic technology available. With the latest in imaging technology our doctors are able to “see” inside the body with extraordinary clarity, resulting in greater precision, earlier diagnoses and better patient care.
- PET scan - One of the most advanced diagnostic tools
- MRI - Non-invasive scan of body tissue
- Nuclear medicine - Small doses of radiaton are used to evaluate abnormalities
- CT scans - X-ray of soft tissue
- Mammography - New digital technology
- Stereotactic biopsy - Non-surgical evaluation of suspicious breast masses
Treatment options include:
- TomoTherapy - Breakthrough radiation therapy
- Mammosite - Alternative radiation treatment given over five days instead of the standard multi-week treatment
- Implant therapy - Option for early stage prostate and breast cancers using small radioactive seeds
- Radiation therapy - Destroys the ability of cancer cells to divide and grow
- Chemotherapy - Medications to control cancer
- Surgery - Traditional, laser and minimally invasive surgeries are available
At Resurrection Medical Center, advanced medicine is only part of the picture. Our team of cancer specialists is equally focused on individualized care for the whole person – not just the disease. Healing is enhanced by addressing the physical, intellectual, emotional and spiritual needs of each patient.
The oncology team includes physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and dedicated oncology nurses. Additional support is provided by a psycho-oncologist, dieticians, spiritual counselors, social workers, home health care providers and physical, occupational and speech therapists.
Resurrection Medical Center’s team of oncology physicians includes:
- Medical Oncologist - Physicians who treat cancer with medicine or chemotherapy
- Radiation Oncologist - Physicians who treat cancer with radiation, including external beam, brachytherapy, mammosite and TomoTherapy.
- Surgeon - Physicians who treat cancer with surgery and perform biopsies.
- Pain Management Physician - Physicians who diagnose and treat pain.
A cancer diagnosis can be frightening, but you are not alone. We are committed to working with our patients to coordinate care and identify resources and services that educate, inform and provide support.
Our patient navigation team includes:
- Oncology Nurse Navigator- Our oncology certified nurse navigator offers support and assistance with resources and guidance in navigating services and cancer information from time of diagnosis through treatment.
- Oncology Social Worker- Offers psychosocial support by providing guidance and access to resources such as transportation, insurance coverage, financial assistance, home placement. Other psychosocial support services include individual, group, and family therapy.
- Breast Care Coordinator- Provides step by step support and guidance throughout your journey assisting with identification of local resources to meet needs and coordinates appointments for diagnostic testing and consults with surgeons and oncologists.
Support When you Need It
At Presence Resurrection Medical Center we are pleased to offer our patients a host of support services for people facing cancer. We have partnered with the American Cancer Society, Gilda's Club of Chicago and Look Good Feel Better to provide the following services at no cost to our patients:
- I Can Cope Support GroupPolish Support Group
- Look Good, Feel Better
- Wig and Accessory Boutique
General Cancer Information
- American Cancer Society
- Association of Community Cancer Centers
- American College of Surgeons
- State Education & Environment Roundtable
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- Live Strong (Lance Armstrong's website dealing mostly with survivor issues)
- Cancer Care Network
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (patient-based website)
- Oncology Nursing Society
- National Cancer Institute