Resurrection Medical Center
Sports Medicine Center
7435 West Talcott Avenue
Chicago, IL 60631
Resurrection Medical Center’s orthopedic surgeons and specialists provide a wide range of orthopedic services with specialties - ranging from minimally invasive arthroscopic surgeries to total joint replacements. They have vast expertise in diagnosing and treating injuries and disease involving bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves, including:
- Bone and joint conditions
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Sports-related injuries
- Work-related injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Orthopedic Treatment Options
- Arthroscopic Surgery - A small telescope, inserted through tiny incisions, allows doctors to diagnose and treat injuries involving the ankles, elbows, knees, shoulders and wrists. For the patient, minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery offers less pain and a quicker recovery.
- Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair - Using a tiny camera and other specially created instruments, our doctors are able to sew the rotator cuff together and back to its attachment to the bone. Because only very small incisions are necessary, patients experience an easier recovery and an earlier return to daily activities.
- Alternative Bearings for Hip Replacements - Recent innovations in hip joint implants allow for smaller incisions and a shorter, less painful recovery. Alternative bearings made of ceramic, metal and/or specialized new plastic last much longer than traditional hip replacements and are especially ideal for younger patients.
- Reconstructive Surgery - Focused on alleviating pain and restoring range of motion to the hips, pelvis and spine, reconstructive surgery can also be used to treat individuals with torn knee ligaments and cartilage.
- Total Joint Replacement Surgery - Total joint replacement and joint resurfacing offer comprehensive options for bone and joint problems and involves removing, replacing or resurfacing a joint with specially designed artificial implants.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome may include the use of splints or braces, anti-inflammatory medications, cortisone injections or surgery.
- Treatments for Spinal Fractures - For fractures caused by osteoporosis, two minimally invasive treatments are available to reduce pain, prevent further collapse of the vertebra and improve mobility. With vertebroplasty, surgical bone cement is injected into a crushed verterbra to stabilize the fracture. In kyphoplasty, a balloon is inserted and inflated to restore height and create a cavity to be filled with bone cement.
- Rehabilitation - Comprehensive rehabilitation services include physical and occupational therapy; exercise programs to stretch and strengthen; conditioning exercises to help further prevent injury; hot or cold applications and whirlpool treatments; braces, splints or casts to immobilize the injury; crutches or wheelchairs; pain management; and patient and family education.
Our Sports Medicine Center offers expert treatment and individual consultation for athletes of all ages and abilities. Our specialists have vast experience in their field, having served as medical staff for the Chicago Triathlon, the Chicago Marathon and the Ironman World Championships.
We understand that each patient comes to us with a unique problem and specific expectations. Our approach is holistic - we consider the lifestyle of the patient in order to prescribe the best care.
When should you come to the Sports Medicine Center?
Does your child need a sports physical? Have you ever sprained an ankle at a basketball game? Do you limp after your morning run? Looking for a new exercise routine? Are you pregnant and want a safe way to stay fit? These are just some of the reasons to make an appointment at the Sports Medicine Center.
We are here to help anyone reach their fitness goals - from the weekend warrior to the elite athlete. A team of specialists, including physicians and therapists, works closely with you to help you achieve success. We offer a range of methods to treat injuries to get you back in action while providing guidance for preventing re-injury.
For each patient, no matter what their ability or goals, we provide counseling on injury prevention, proper body mechanics, optimum nutrition and increasing endurance. So, whether you want to participate in a triathlon or simply increase your daily walking routine, our experts can facilitate your success.
Sports Medicine Services Available
- Comprehensive care for athletes of all ages and abilities
- Diagnosis and treatment of athletic injuries
- Management of chronic overuse injuries
- Treatment of sports-related medical illnesses
- Sports physicals
- Sports nutrition recommendations and supplement guidance
- Prenatal fitness
- Endurance athlete training support
- Pre-season conditioning programs
- Post-event transitioning
- Issues facing the female athlete
- Scuba medicine
- Concussion evaluation and management
- Exercise prescriptions, including for chronic medical conditions, such as asthma, diabetes and obesity
For more information or to make an appointment at the Sports Medicine Center at Resurrection Medical Center, call 773-990-7600.