Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
Holy Family Medical Center
150 North River Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016
The Physical Therapy Department at Holy Family Medical Center now offers pelvic floor rehabilitation. Our specially trained therapist works with both men and women to provide non-surgical treatment for pelvic floor dysfunction. Our therapists will develop a comprehensive treatment plan to meet your specific needs.
Conditions We Treat
- Urinary incontinence
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Overactive bladder
- Fecal incontinence
- Chronic constipation
- Rectal pain
Treatments We Provide
- Manual therapy - Manual therapy involves the practitioner’s use of their hands for superficial or deep soft tissue manipulation. Example of dysfunctions may include muscle spasms, muscle tension, scarring, or pain and joint dysfunction.
- Therapeutic exercise - Exercise would be provided to promote stability and strengthening or flexibility as indicated for specific needs.
- Vaginal or rectal sensors for biofeedback - Biofeedback is a treatment technique utilizing sensors in which people are trained to improve their health by using signals from their own bodies.
- Electrical stimulation - Electrical stimulation is used to promote/facilitate a specific muscle or group of muscles to contract.
- Use of vaginal weights - The use of vaginal weights is similar to dumbbells to strengthen specific muscles of the pelvic floor.
Our therapy is done in a private, comfortable setting and you will work with a therapist who is specially trained to treat pelvic floor dysfunctions. Before any therapy is done, the therapist will talk to you about your treatment plan and what you can expect at each visit.
You must have a referral from your physician to make an appointment for these services.
For a referral ask your physician to call 847-297-1800 ext. 2012.