About Presence St. Mary's Hospital
Presence St. Mary’s, originally known as the Emergency Hospital, was opened in March 1897 by the Sister Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary. In 1925, it was re-named St. Mary’s Hospital. In 1997, the Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary combined with the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart and Sisters of Mercy of Americas to form Provena Health and the hospital name changed to Provena St. Mary’s Hospital. Through a merger of Provena Health and Resurrection Healthcare in 2011, Presence St. Mary’s Hospital is now a part of the largest Catholic Healthcare System in Illinois, Presence Health.
- In 2013 Presence St. Mary’s Hospital was named to the annual U.S. News & World Report rankings of the Best Hospitals for 2013-2014. Presence St. Mary’s Hospital is ranked 21st in Illinois. The annual U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings, now in their 24th year, recognizes hospitals that excel in treating the most challenging patients.
- In 2013 & 2014 Presence St. Mary’s was honored with an “A” Hospital Patient Safety Score by The Leapfrog Group. The Hospital Safety Score was compiled under the guidance of the nation’s leading experts on patient safety and is designed to give the public information they can use to protect themselves and their families.
- In 2014 Presence St. Mary’s was named as one of the 2014 America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Patient Experience by WomenCertified Inc., home of the Women’s Choice Award®. The distinction is the only award that identifies the country’s best healthcare institutions based on robust criteria that consider female patient satisfaction, clinical excellence, and what women say they want from a hospital.
Presence St. Mary's Hospital is a Catholic hospital that abides by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services.
Key services include:
- Level II Trauma Center
- eICU technology gives physicians and staff an extra set of eyes and ears through remote monitoring
- Breast Health Center – digital mammography, specially trained radiologists and specialized breast nurse navigators
- Cancer Center Received National Outstanding Achievement Award from American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer
- Rehabilitation Services – aquatic, pain management, physical therapy