If you or a loved one experiences acute or chronic pain, you want the most effective care to relieve your pain and manage your health. Combining their expertise across several disciplines, our experienced pain management physicians work together to offer complete care that is tailored to your needs.
Pain Management at Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
At Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, our philosophy of care for pain management is conservative and patient centered. To help improve your quality of life, we focus on educating our patients about their conditions and care and using the least invasive treatment options available. We provide inpatient care for people hospitalized at Presence Saint Joseph and outpatient care for people who can manage their conditions at home. Our pain management program features:
- Highly trained experts in physical medicine and rehabilitation(PM&R): Our physicians are all rehabilitation specialists in physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R). That means we specialize in non-operative treatments consisting of rehabilitation, medication and injection management for spine and various pain conditions.
- Multiple disciplines for expert care: Our board-certified and fellowship-trained physicians bring their knowledge and skills from neurosurgery, PM&R, primary care sports medicine and rheumatology. A nurse practitioner who specializes in pain management, physical and occupational therapists and other specialty-trained providers round out your care team.
- One-stop shop for pain management: You’ll find us in the Center for Orthopedic and Specialty Care, along with specialists in orthopedics, sports medicine and rehabilitation. From diagnostic imaging and visits with multiple physicians to interventional procedures and rehab, you’ll receive all your care in one place.
- Patient-centered care: We focus on providing you with the best possible patient experience, through education to help you manage your condition at home. You’ll find a holistic approach to care, with supportive services that address body, mind and spirit. We help you with paperwork for health insurance and work-related injuries and scheduling your appointments so you can focus on getting better.
- Outpatient surgery and procedures: You have access to our entire team of pain management, orthopedic and sports medicine experts and all our services. That means we can perform many of our minimally invasive procedures in one day, without the need for a hospital stay.
- Focus on specialty spine care: Our team of neurosurgeons, PM&R physicians and therapists collaborate to provide customized care for people with spine injuries and disorders. In our multidisciplinary spine conference, we discuss individual patient cases to gather input from all our experts. We take an evidence –based, and holistic approach to treatment, including medications, alternative approaches, therapy, and injection,. If your condition requires surgery, we use the least invasive procedures necessary.
Pain Management: Conditions We Treat
We offer comprehensive care for patients with a wide range of conditions that cause acute or chronic pain, including:
- Back and neck pain
- Cancer pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: Pain, tingling or numbness in the hand and wrist caused by a compressed nerve in the wrist
- Diabetic pain caused by nerve damage in the arms, hands, legs or feet
- Fibromyalgia: Rheumatic disorder that causes fatigue and widespread pain and tenderness
- Herniated discs: Problems with a disc (rubbery tissue between vertebrae that cushion each vertebra)
- Joint injuries and pain in the shoulder, upper extremity (arm), hip, knee and ankle
- Migraine headaches
- Neuropathic pain: Chronic pain caused by nerves that are damaged, injured or dysfunctional
- Running injuries
- Sciatica: Chronic pain that begins in the lower back and radiates into the hips, buttocks and legs
- Spinal stenosis: Narrowing of the spaces among bones in the backbone, creating pressure on the spinal cord and causing pain and numbness in various parts of the body
- Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis: Fractures in and shifting of vertebrae in the lower back
- Sports-related accidents
- Stress fractures: Tiny cracks in bones caused by repetitive activity
- Work-related injuries
Our Treatment Options for Pain Management
We specialize in using a variety of pain management methods to target different points along the pain pathway. Using this approach, our physicians can more effectively control pain while minimizing possible side effects. The methods we use to diagnose and treat pain include:
- Botox (botulinum toxin) for chronic migraine headaches and spasticity (a muscle control disorder)
- EMG (electromyography) procedures and nerve conduction studies to test muscles and nerves to find the causes of pain
- Joint injections of steroids to relieve arthritis and other pain
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections of your own blood, with concentrated platelets, into an injured area to promote healing
- Prolotherapy injections of an irritant solution into a soft tissue injury to trigger the body’s natural healing process to repair damaged tissues
- Trigger point injections of steroids and/or anesthetic into knots of muscle to relieve spasms and inflammation
Minimally Invasive Spine and Joint Treatments
Our pain management specialists use minimally invasive spine and joint injections to help diagnose spinal conditions and relieve pain and inflammation. We use fluoroscopy or ultrasound-guided techniques to accurately target the locations for these injections, which include:
- Epidural steroid injections into the spinal canal (space surrounding the spinal cord and nerve roots)
- Facet joint injections of steroids and/or anesthetic directly into the joints connecting the vertebrae
- Medial branch blocks: injections of anesthetic into the medial branch nerves that serve the facet joints
- Radiofrequency ablation using radio waves to treat inflamed nerves and relieve pain
- Nerve root blocks: injections of steroids and/or anesthetic into the space where the affected nerve branches out from the spinal cord
- Hip Joint Injections
- Sacroiliac Joint injections
- Glenohumeral joint injections
Find out about the rehabilitation services we offer in the Center for Orthopedics and Specialty Care, including physical and occupational therapy.
Support Services for Pain Management
We support your care with services that complement your treatment, to enhance the healing process with care for the whole person. Based on your specific needs, we refer you to our community network of providers for supportive services including:
- Complementary and alternative therapies such as acupuncture, massage and reflexology
- Guided exercise programs
- Nutrition counseling
- Pain psychologists
- Weight loss support
We offer patient education for people with spine conditions to teach them about their conditions, what caused them and how to manage them. This bi-monthly class helps boost our patients’ confidence about their ability to move around in their environment and avoid further injury. You can sign up through the clinic when you make your therapy appointment.
Free Injury Screening by Rehab Therapists
If you have an injury that is causing pain, we offer complimentary 15-minute injury screenings to recommend treatment options. Learn more about our free injury screenings provided by experienced providers in physical therapy and occupational therapy.
To learn more about our pain management services or make an appointment, please contact us:
Center for Orthopedic and Specialty Care
2845 North Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60657
View a map and directions. We offer low-cost parking in our parking garage.