If you or a loved one has diabetes, it’s important to learn as much as possible about the disease so that you can effectively manage it. At Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, our team of diabetes specialists provides education and support for patients and their families. Our goal is to help you understand and manage diabetes for better health.
Diabetes Education at Presence Saint Joseph Hospital: Why Choose Us?
Our diabetes educators include registered nurses (RNs), a registered dietitian (RD) and certified diabetes educators (CDEs). Our goal is to be your navigator to help you achieve the healthy lifestyle goals that you set for yourself. Our diabetes education program features:
- National recognition: Since 2003, our program has held accreditation from the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE). You can rest assured, knowing that you’ll receive the best quality services from specialists who meet and exceed the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME).
- Highly trained experts with years of experience: Our CDEs, RNs and RD are dedicated to helping people through nutrition and diabetes education. We have degrees in nursing and certifications in dietetics and nutrition and keep up with the latest developments in diabetes management.
- Comprehensive services for all types of diabetes: Our team works with adults who have prediabetes, type 1 and type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes (high blood glucose (sugar) levels during pregnancy).
- Proven results: Our maternal diabetes educator is helping expectant mothers with diabetes provide the best possible start in life for their babies. In fact, our rate of babies considered large for gestational age (LGA) is only 5%, compared with the national average of 20%.
- Coordinated care to support your overall health: We work with your referring physician to understand your individual needs and develop recommendations. If you need care for diabetes-related conditions, we can refer you to other departments within Presence Saint Joseph.
Our Services for Nutrition and Diabetes Education
We recognize that the key to living well with diabetes is understanding its causes, your symptoms and your treatment options. To start, we meet with you one-on-one to gain a complete picture of your specific needs and help you set goals for a healthy lifestyle. We then develop a self-management plan for everything from taking medications and self-monitoring your health to eating healthy and staying active. Together, we’ll put together a daily routine that helps reduce your risk of complications, with problem-solving skills for coping with the unexpected. We provide our counseling and classes in the Presence Center for Advanced Care, with offices for individual sessions and classrooms for group classes. Our program and services include:
- Outpatient diabetes self-management education
- Group education classes twice each week (daytime or evening) to teach you about healthy meal plans at home and eating out, physical activity and how to take medication properly
- Individual sessions by appointment, as appropriate
- Annual refresher class for the latest information
- Individual counseling for women with gestational diabetes and referrals for services such as breastfeeding and prenatal classes
- Individual planning for physical activity and weight management
- Nutritional counseling and education on healthy food choices
- Diabetes education for hospitalized patients who have high blood glucose levels
- Consultation with physicians and specialists to provide recommendations for their patients and collaborate on care and follow-up
- Training for nurses in Presence Saint Joseph departments to help patients transition home
Most health insurance plans and Medicare cover diabetes education as part of your diabetes care. Check with your health insurance company to find out what your plan covers.
Community Outreach for Diabetes Education
We sponsor health fairs at schools, local Ys and Presence Saint Joseph with services including:
- Screenings for blood sugar and blood pressure
- Body mass index (BMI), a measure of body fat based on height and weight
- Foot care such as daily foot checks, an annual foot exam and proper nail care to prevent complications
- Education on nutrition, self-management, wound care and prevention of diabetes-related complications
If the screenings indicate that you may be at risk for developing diabetes, one of our CDEs will call you to talk about lifestyle changes you can make to prevent diabetes.
Training and Self-Care
- Self-administration training for patients, their families and caregivers to give insulin at home
- How to monitor your blood glucose
- What to do in case of medical emergencies such as low or high blood sugar
- How to prevent or manage long-term complications including eye problems, heart disease, kidney disease, stroke and neuropathy (nerve damage, usually in the hands and feet, that can cause weakness, numbness, and pain)
- Self-care for diabetes patients, including foot care, skin care and when to have eye, dental and other exams
We’re located in the Presence Center for Advanced Care in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago. You can access our services with a referral from your physician. Call us to find out how we can help you: 773.665.3828.
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
Diabetes and Nutrition Education
2845 North Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60657
View a map and directions. We offer low-cost parking in our lots and parking garage.