Presence Saint Francis Hospital
Paul V. Galvin Heart Center
355 Ridge Avenue, First Floor
Evanston, IL 60202
Maps & Directions
To request a general appointment or diagnostic testing appointment with one of our heart and vascular experts, call 877.737.4636 (INFO) or fill out our quick form. Appointments available Monday through Saturday.
Learning that you or a loved one has heart disease affects the entire family. It’s reassuring to know that expert cardiovascular care is just around the corner in Evanston and north Chicago at Presence Saint Francis Hospital.
At the Paul V. Galvin Heart Center, we treat the whole person — body, mind and spirit. Our holistic approach enables exceptional care to help you achieve your best health. You’ll receive the high-quality, advanced care of an academic medical center in our community hospital, conveniently close to home.
Why Choose Us?
We’re committed to providing excellent care for our patients, with a personal touch. Our cardiovascular specialists work closely with you to evaluate your health, determine an accurate diagnosis and develop a treatment plan tailored to your individual needs.
Our goal is to make your time at the Galvin Heart Center as comfortable and stress-free as possible — and deliver the most favorable outcome. Our program features:
- Leaders in cardiovascular care: Our heart specialists are pioneers in their field, including physicians who performed one of the first stent placements (artery-opening treatments) in the country and the first open-heart bypass surgery in Chicagoland. With board certifications in disciplines including cardiology, interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, echocardiography and nuclear medicine, our physicians have years of experience in treating all kinds of heart and vascular disease.
- Highest level of emergency heart care:In our Level I Trauma Center, we provide the most advanced care and technology available to heart attack patients. We’ve earned a number of accreditations for our top-quality cardiac care, including:
- Primary Stroke Center for rapid treatment of strokes caused by blood clots.
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, Level IV: We were the first hospital in Illinois to receive this accreditation, and we remain the only Chest Pain Center on Chicago’s North Shore.
- Primary STEMI (heart attack) Receiving Center for coordinated care with emergency medical services.
- Certified Echocardiogram Lab and Certified Vascular Lab by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission.
- Excellent outcomes: We’re committed to excellent heart and vascular care that saves lives. We meet and exceed many national guidelines for our door-to-treatment times (the amount of time between a patient’s arrival at the hospital and treatment). Our door-to-balloon time (for artery-opening treatment) averages 69 minutes, well below the 90-minute standard.
- Advanced technology: We use leading-edge technology to produce detailed, high-resolution images of your heart and arteries. Our skilled lab technicians are experienced in using these tools to provide precise imaging for diagnosis and treatment. The technology allows our electrophysiology and cardiac catheterization specialists to perform complex procedures with precision — providing better outcomes for you.
- Nationally recognized for nursing care: With national Magnet recognition, we rank among the top 6 percent of U.S. hospitals for our nursing excellence and innovations. All of our highly trained nurses specialize in cardiac catheterization nursing and are board certified in cardiovascular and critical care.
Learn more about our emergency care for heart and vascular conditions in our Level I Trauma Center.
Cardiovascular Services at the Galvin Heart Center
We’ve made it easy for you to get the care you need, all in one convenient location. You’ll find an expert heart team using advanced diagnostics and minimally invasive treatments for the best possible outcomes. At the Galvin Heart Center, we offer services including:
- Heart diagnosis: We use the most up-to-date tests and tools to diagnose heart conditions so we can begin your treatment right away. With equipment such as a 4D echocardiogram machine for heart ultrasounds, we can view your heart function with greater precision. Our advanced technology means a quicker, more accurate diagnosis for you — and a customized treatment plan for the best possible outcomes.
- Arrhythmia care: We can monitor your heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) remotely to make sure your pacemaker or implanted defibrillator is running at peak performance. In our pacemaker clinic, our dedicated nurse is on-site during weekdays and available on-call on weekends for our patients’ convenience. Our board-certified specialists provide comprehensive treatments for all types of arrhythmias in our advanced electrophysiology lab.
- Cardiac catheterization: Our cardiac catheterization laboratory teams are available 24/7 and can respond within 30 minutes to perform emergency procedures. In our lab, we perform minimally invasive procedures — such as angioplasty to open clogged heart arteries — whenever possible.
- Heart surgery: When your condition requires open-heart surgery, our cardiothoracic (heart and chest) surgeons use the most advanced techniques available. Our cardiac catheterization team works closely with the surgical team and is available immediately when needed for certain conditions.
- Cardiac rehab: You can get back to your everyday activities while living with heart disease by participating in our cardiac rehabilitation program. We offer a comprehensive program including exercise, education and support, all tailored to your individual health goals. Our program’s certification by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation indicates that we meet and exceed national standards for heart and lung rehab.
- Heart failure care: If you’re hospitalized with heart failure, we connect you with our experienced cardiologists to manage your condition after discharge. Depending on your case, we can implant a CardioMEMS system to monitor your heart remotely. Your physician can adjust your medications as necessary to control your symptoms — without the need for office visits.
- Vascular treatment: Using the latest minimally invasive catheter systems, we can quickly open blocked arteries in the heart (coronary artery disease) and other areas (peripheral vascular disease). For heart catheterization procedures, we can often use an advanced approach through the wrist rather than the groin, allowing for a faster recovery time.
- Heart health in our community: We’re committed to helping everyone in Evanston and north Chicago prevent cardiovascular disease. At our annual Heart Fest, you can get health screenings, learn about heart disease and stroke from our cardiologists and surgeons, and enjoy healthy, chef-prepared foods. At the HEARTSafe Community Fair and other events, we offer community education such as hands-only CPR.
Learn more about all of our heart and vascular care at Presence Health hospitals.