Resurrection Health Care's Statement on Pro-Life
In the aftermath of the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act PPACA, there is ongoing discussion about its effectiveness and implementation of the subsequent Executive Order to prevent federal funding for abortion and what the implications might be for Catholics.
At Resurrection Health Care, we re-affirm our commitment to respect life from the moment of conception to its providential end. We have always been, are, and will always be absolutely and unequivocally against abortion and federal funding for it.
Resurrection Health Care, through its ministries, is motivated by a reverence for life in a few ways related to prenatal and post-partum care (see below). In addition, Resurrection has multiple ways that it witnesses to respect for life in its care for children, adults and those who are dying. Details on all of these ministries can be found on our website.
- New Beginnings Program or prenatal, delivery and postpartum care of mothers and babies on public aide or uncovered by insurance - clinic sites at Holy Family Medical Center and Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center and deliveries at Resurrection Medical Center.
- Free home visits by Resurrection Medical Center nurses to check on mothers and babies after discharge from hospital.
- Resurrection Medical Center serves as a host site for the Archdiocese Natural Family Program Classes.
- Provide "memory boxes", prayer support and annual grief support service to parents who experience the loss of a baby at any stage of gestation.
- All Resurrection Health Care Hospitals provide training to nurses in the Ethical and Religious Directives (ERDs).
- The physicians of all Resurrection Health Care hospitals receive a copy of the ERDs and are asked to sign an agreement to adhere to them. This is signed by every physician every two years.
- Emergency nurses and physicians of all Resurrection Health Care hospitals are trained in the management and compassionate support of rape victims in accord with the ERDs.
With all of you in the communities we serve, we pray for the efficacy of the legislation that was passed, the collaboration of all of us who love life in the support of and enhancement of a healthy life for all. We ask for your trust in and support for Resurrection, a Catholic Health Care system that lives out the values of our Religious Sponsors, the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and the Sisters of the Resurrection.