Losing the ability to speak effectively, think clearly or swallow safely can feel frustrating. But with Presence Health’s speech-language pathology services, you don’t have to give up hope.
Our specially trained therapists provide evaluation and treatment for patients of all ages following an illness, injury or developmental delay. Working closely with you and your primary care physician, we’ll create a personalized treatment plan, combining education with exercise and cutting-edge therapies.
So whether you need to find your voice again, or eat and drink with confidence, count on Presence Health to return you to your fullest potential.
Chicago’s Voice, Language and Swallowing Specialists
Just some of the conditions we treat include:
- Cognitive disorders: Difficulties with attention, memory, math, orientation, problem-solving, organization and other high-level processes. These disorders can be caused from head trauma, stroke and other neurological diagnoses, though they may be hard for the family to notice and can make patients feel overwhelmed or depressed.
- Language disorders: Difficulties with the production and/or reception of language, which may occur following a stroke, head injury or other neurological changes. Your speech therapist will design exercises to improve the production and understanding of language.
- Voice disorders: Can occur at any age, and may be due to a variety of circumstances, both medical and environmental. Some of the most common complaints are chronic laryngitis, a raspy voice or poor endurance. Your speech therapist will perform a thorough evaluation using advanced instrumentation, followed by voice exercises and re-training tasks.
- Swallowing difficulty: Also called dysphagia, this disorder occurs when impairment reduces your ability to get adequate nutrition by mouth, or raises the danger of food or liquid getting into the lungs rather than the stomach. Your therapist may use real-time video analysis to diagnose the issue, and introduce diet alterations or other treatment strategies. That may include the use of VitalStim® therapy—a highly effective system that combines electrical stimulation with swallowing exercises.
- Oral motor deficits: Weakness or movement difficulties of the articulators (tongue/lips/cheeks/jaw). Exercises are provided to increase strength, coordination and range of movement to improve speech and allow for safe swallowing and eating.
- Parkinson’s disease-related disorders: Patients with Parkinson’s may suffer from related speech problems, including soft or hoarse voice, and mumbled or monotone speech. Presence Health proudly offers the innovative LSVT LOUD® therapy, an effective alternative to medication or surgery that improves your ability to be heard, understood and make facial expressions.
- Post-Laryngectomy Voice Loss: During this procedure to treat cancer of the larynx, the vocal cords may be removed. Your speech therapist will help you master alternate modes of communication following the procedure.
Specialized Therapy for Pediatric Patients
If your little one is struggling with communication or eating issues, we’re here to help them boost self-esteem and reach their full potential. Our specialties include:
- Articulation and related motor speech disorders
- Expressive and receptive language delay
- Feeding/Swallowing disorders
- Genetic disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Neurological disorders
- Phonological difficulties
All therapies are child-friendly and family focused, and we work closely with their school to carry over their momentum.
Find a Speech-Language Pathology Specialist Near You
Presence Health offers speech-language therapy at inpatient and outpatient facilities across Chicago and the suburbs. Find a convenient location below, or request an appointment and we’ll point you to the right provider.