At Presence Health, our comprehensive heart failure clinics are designed to help you avoid costly hospital stays and emergency room visits.
Staying on top of your condition can be overwhelming. But you don’t have to do it alone. Our team of experts is in your corner, helping you manage your condition and related devices. Compassionate, expert care means less anxiety and heartache for you and your family — and more time together.
Heart failure, also called congestive heart failure (CHF), is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet your body’s needs. It’s often a lifelong, chronic condition, yet it can be effectively controlled, and even reversed, with the proper balance of medication, lifestyle changes and medical devices. If not properly treated, heart failure can be life-threatening, and it could require a heart transplant or support from a surgically implanted mechanical heart pump.
Our comprehensive heart failure services empower you to take back control of your health and improve your comfort and quality of life. Our board-certified cardiologists work with you to design comprehensive self-care and disease management plans tailored to your needs and circumstances. That means more well days and fewer hospital stays.
Our Heart Failure Clinics feature:
• Compassionate, patient-centered care: Empathy and encouragement are at the core of what we do. You’re a key member of our heart failure team, and we involve you every step of the way to make sure you’re equipped to follow your care plan. We also provide opportunities for social support and family involvement.
• Expert heart failure physicians and nurses: Our heart failure clinics are led by board-certified physicians and advanced practice nurses (APNs). Our APNs are highly trained, board-certified registered nurses who have either masters or doctorate degrees in nursing and specialized training in heart failure care.
• Nationally recognized heart failure programs: Distinctions include national Heart Failure Accreditation by the American College of Cardiology. We demonstrate our commitment to you by employing best practices and adopting the latest treatment guidelines. Respected national organizations recognize our achievements through accreditation and certification programs.
• Heart Failure College: We give you the tools to regain control of your health through an intensive education program covering topics about your disease and self-care. You’ll get one-on-one training with a nurse practitioner and pharmacist.
• LVAD and heart transplant care: As the first Shared Care site in Illinois, our Heart Failure Clinic at Presence Saint Joseph Hospital — Elgin includes collaborative partnerships with the five heart transplant centers in the Chicago area. This allows us to provide heart failure, LVAD (left ventricular assist device) and heart transplant patients the ongoing, highly specialized care they need closer to home.
• Convenient, timely appointments: We offer same-day visits to help control flare-ups.
• Seamless recovery care: Our transitional care program provides a safe, smooth transition as you leave the hospital. Nutritional and functional assessments are included. And whether you need more help at home, extra therapy or nursing care, we’re here for you. You don't have to go far, because Presence Health nursing and rehabilitation centers are located nearby to treat your condition and help you recover, and Presence Home Care offers comprehensive care in the comfort of your own home. Through our dedicated heart failure telemonitoring program, our nurses are able to remotely monitor your condition and work with a physician to make any needed adjustments to your care
We offer heart failure clinics at locations throughout Illinois. Learn more about the specific services we provide at the Presence Health hospital closest to you: