Salary and Fringe Benefits
We care about the development of our residents and their families. That's why we embrace work-life balance that includes a generous salary and benefits package, reasonable call schedule, ample vacation and meeting time and residency retreats as some of the ways we encourage this balance, which also enhances personal and professional growth.
Resident stipends are governed by Resurrection Health Care and are parallel to the salaries of similar level residents at the other Chicago hospitals with regular cost of living increases.
- Three Weeks Annual Paid Vacation Each Year - Vacations are generally taken in one-week blocks from Monday-Friday. Weekends on both sides of vacation week are protected, whenever possible. In addition, one week professional leave may be taken for PGY2 and PGY3 residents to attend a medical conference. A stipend is provided for conference attendance or the purchase of educational resource materials.
- Personal Digital Assistants for all residents! - iTouch devices are given for use within the scope of both clinical and educational responsibilities. Currently, we are involved in an initiative to use handheld computers for patient sign-out, as well as maintaining on-call and office schedules and documenting procedural skills.
- Medical Spanish Education - Residents are offered an opportunity to participate in coursework to develop and/or enhance their patient communication skills.
- Malpractice Insurance - provided for all activities related to the residency curriculum.
- Health and Dental Insurance - Individual insurance is provided without cost and family plans are available with modest payroll deductions.
- A CME Stipend of $500 and 1 Week Conference Time are available to second and third year residents each year. Resident research and scholarship are strongly supported and encouraged, with funding opportunities for conference presentations as well awards offered for outstanding research at the Annual Saint Joseph Hospital Resident Research Day for all departments.
- ACLS, PALS, BLS, ALSO are provided. ATLS is also available.
- Free Parking at the hospital provided to all residents while on duty.
- Subsidized Parking for residents who want to live in the neighborhood. The hospital has arranged 24 hour monthly parking at a nearby garage at a significant discount and paid as a pre-tax payroll deduction.
- Discounted Prescription Medications for residents and families provided by Resurrection Pharmacies.
- Discounted Meals in the hospital cafeteria. The residency also provides meal allowances for on-call periods.
- Laboratory Coats (3) and scrubs per service are provided.
- EMR, E-mail and Computer Access - Residents have unlimited online medical library access at both Saint Joseph as well as at the Seton Family Health Center. This includes 24-hour online access to full text journals and other electronic media, such as Up-To-Date, OVID and EBSCO. In addition, Saint Joseph has an on-site hospital library with a full-time medical librarian. Seton Family Health Center is fully equipped with Epic, a state of the art electronic medical record system.