The program includes an organizational structure of academic, clinical, and technical criteria to facilitate the education of residents in general surgery. Its goals are to:
- Maintain educational criteria that are congruent with the aims of the American Board of Surgery and the Residency Review Committee in General Surgery.
- Facilitate the self-directed study of residents with recommended readings and learning activities.
- Integrate principles of basic sciences with clinical experiences with monthly exams, where answers are discussed at the end of each examination.
- Guide the mechanism for residents' progressive responsibility from initial patient care to complete patient management for all patient ages, from neonatal to geriatric.
- Provide surgical residents with a reference for functioning as teachers, consultants, and above all role models.
- Guide surgical residents to use research technology and skill in conducting studies that assist in solving surgical problems.
- Foster continuing education to promote lifelong individual initiative and creative scholarship.