Medical Student Elective
The Department of Emergency Medicine offers a four-week medical student ER rotation through Presence Resurrection Medical Center or Presence Saint Francis Hospital.
The goal of this rotation is to introduce the clinical practice and fundamental didactics of emergency care in an accelerated curriculum appropriate to those students pursuing a career in emergency medicine. It emphasizes bedside teaching, approach to the critical patient, procedures and diagnostic assessment.
- Students will work 15 8-hour shifts, including a cross-over shift at either Presence Resurrection Medical Center or Presence Saint Francis Hospital
- Students work one on one exclusively with department attendings
- Rigorous academic environment, high acuity with many procedures
- Weekly conferences every Thursday from 7am to noon
- Didactic sessions with an attending or senior resident
- Journal club
- Exposure to Ultrasound
- Airway-RSI/ACLS lecture and lab using our "STAT Simulator" mannequin (pictured below) or Sim Lab at Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
This format allows ample opportunity for critical evaluation and recommendation for students entering the specialty.
The Emergency Medicine rotation is available to 4th year students attending ACGME accredited medical schools who plan to enter the emergency medicine residency match.
A letter of good standing, proof of medical liability insurance and finally proof of immunization to include hepatitis B and current tuberculosis screening in the past 12 months are required prior to confirmation of dates. All scheduling is done on a first come basis.
Interested students should e-mail Dr. Christos.
Steve C. Christos, D.O., M.S., F.A.C.E.P.
Medical Student Coordinator
Coordinator, Residency Procedures Training
Department of Emergency Medicine
Presence Resurrection Medical Center
7435 West Talcott Avenue, Chicago, IL 60631
Fax (773) 594-7805