Kevin M. Feeney
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saint Andrew Life Center to celebrate its 60th anniversary
Saint Andrew Life Center, 7000 North Newark Avenue, Niles will celebrate its 60th anniversary at a special Mass on Friday, November 30, 2012 at 9:30 a.m., followed by a reception with light refreshments. The public is invited to attend. The Mass will be celebrated by the Reverend Ronald N. Kalas, Dean, Vicariate II of the Archdiocese of Chicago and concelebrated by Reverend William P. Grogan, Vicar for Healthcare, Archdiocese of Chicago and System Director, Ethics, Presence Health, and by Reverend Stepan Kostiuk, Chaplain, Saint Andrew Life Center. Reservations for the reception are necessary and should be made by calling 847-647-8332 by November 26. Saint Andrew Life Center – a brief history Saint Andrew Life Center, originally known as Saint Andrew Home, had its origin at a meeting of the Saint Hedwig Society. The society’s members represented all of the Polish parishes in the Archdiocese of Chicago, and supported the work of Saint Hedwig’s Orphanage. At the society’s meeting on September 16, 1939, Monsignor Francis Rusch, who was in charge of the orphanage, announced his desire to build a home for the elderly. His announcement was greeted enthusiastically and the society immediately pledged to support this goal. Msgr. Rusch discussed the plan with George Cardinal Mundelein, who counseled patience due to the poor economic conditions of the time. Msgr. Rusch visited numerous homes for the aged during the next several years. By 1945, the State of Illinois authorized formation of Saint Andrew Home for the Aged, a non-profit corporation. The corporation was named for the recently canonized Saint Andrew Bobola, a Polish Jesuit who ministered to plague victims. Saint Andrew Bobola became the patron saint for Saint Andrew Home. Samuel Cardinal Stritch officially dedicated Saint Andrew Home on Memorial Day – May 30, 1952. In his homily, Cardinal Stritch remarked, “Some people passing through the home and looking at its facilities may say, ‘too good.’ Is there anything we can do that is too good for our good old fathers and mothers?” Shortly after its opening, a social worker familiar with other facilities called Saint Andrew the “Taj Mahal” of nursing homes. Saint Andrew accommodated those who wished to live independently as well as those needing sheltered and nursing care. The facility was staffed by the Felician Sisters, and Sister Mary Aloysius, CSSF, was the first administrator. On March 1, 2000, Saint Andrew Home became part of Resurrection Health Care. It was renamed Saint Andrew Life Center and currently serves as a retirement community, offering independent and assisted living, intermediate care, and memory care for residents with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Saint Andrew Life Center is now part of Presence Health. About Saint Andrew Bobola, 1590 – 1657 Saint Andrew was a Jesuit missionary and martyr. He was born a member of a noble Polish family in 1590. Entering the Society of Jesus at Vilna in 1622, he preached in the church of St. Casimir in that city. He took solemn vows in 1630 and was made superior of the Jesuits in Brobuisk, where he preached and distinguished himself by his works of mercy during a plague. In 1636, Andrew was sent to the Lithuanian missions and a house was provided for him in Pinsk, Belarus, by Prince Radziwell. On May 10, 1657, Andrew was martyred.