Saint Joseph Hospital 312-770-2225
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saint Joseph Hospital Opens New Spacious, State-of-the-Art Emergency Room
Chicago Lakefront’s Newest E.R. Provides Private, Convenient and Fast-track Care
Chicago, Ill. – October 18, 2012 – Saint Joseph Hospital recently opened a new state-of-the-art Emergency Room (E.R.) that provides patients with privacy, convenience and efficient care – all in a spacious and comfortable environment.
Focused on creating a superior experience for patients and families, the specially designed E.R. features:
- Spacious and private treatment rooms that can accommodate large families and friends
- A family lounge that promotes quiet and calm, and features wifi-capabilities
- A centrally located physicians’ and nurses’ station, with visible and easy access to treatment rooms, triage rooms and treatment bays
“Our E.R. has a reputation for delivering high quality and efficient care, but now our patients will feel it within this beautiful new facility,” said James Chadd, M.D. (pictured at right), medical director, Emergency Department, Saint Joseph Hospital. “Our newly designed environment matches our superior care – and it’s a world of difference for patients.”
Saint Joseph Hospital’s previous E.R. was built in 1983 and had no significant renovations in more than 25 years. There had been four small rooms and 10 treatment bays. Physicians, staff, patients, families and neighbors provided input on the design of the new E.R. Phase one construction began in March 2012 with the new E.R. opening on Oct. 3. Phase two construction started Oct. 4 with behind-the-scenes improvements, such as the addition of treatment rooms. Phase two will be completed by spring 2013.
“We’ve had excellent performance in our E.R. – with patients on average seeing a board-certified emergency physician within 20 minutes of arrival,” Dr. Chadd said. “With our new E.R., we expect to continue at these levels and improve even further. The goal is to get patients treated and back to their lives as quickly as possible.”
The new E.R. includes:
- Three triage rooms where nurses initially assess patients and determine the level of care
- Seven private new treatment rooms with glass doors with blinds for privacy and quiet
- Five treatment bays with reclining chairs for patients with less-serious conditions
- New entrance and lobby
- State-of-the-art cardiac monitoring system
- A large tracking board that provides quick visualization for doctors and nurses about the patient's status, such as whether labs and X-rays are complete, if a patient has been admitted to the hospital, room number, etc. Screen also appears on computer monitors.
- New beds with alarms to alert staff if a patient is trying to get out of bed, and features built-in scales so that staff can determine weight and accurate medication dosage
- An advanced nurse call system in which a patient can push a pain button and nurse will get a text to his or her phone with the room number – indicating it’s pain-related
- Electronic health record – where the patient’s medical information is consolidated into one single, secure and private medical record
The E.R. design improves workflow and the efficiency of care – with separate areas for patients requiring acute intervention (higher level of care) and for those patients in need of minor care (fast-track) for injuries and illness. The seven treatment rooms circle the physicians’ and nurses’ station for efficiency. Patients who do not need further testing will be seen by the physician in the triage room, where nurses initially assess patients and provide care. This process streamlines care and makes it more convenient for patients. The modern décor is complemented by soothing colors and artwork.
Next spring, when phase two is complete, the E.R. will double in size to more than 12,000 square feet (more than a quarter acre) and expand to 22 rooms.
“With phase two construction, we’ll be adding seven more exam rooms, some designed for overweight patients, behavioral health and other needs,” said Ronna Atlas, R.N., clinical nurse manager, Emergency Department, Saint Joseph Hospital. “Our patients have come to expect the highest quality of care and incredible service, now they can get that care in a calm, healing environment designed with their comfort in mind.”
Saint Joseph Hospital has one of the most highly rated E.R.s in the nation for patient satisfaction. In 2011, the E.R. earned patient satisfaction scores that trended in the 90th percentile, according to Professional Research Consultants (PRC). PRC is a national healthcare marketing research firm that conducts follow-up voluntary phone surveys of patients after their visits to the hospital.
The hospital is an accredited chest pain center – meaning it provides a higher level of expertise in dealing with patients who arrive with heart-attack symptoms. Saint Joseph also is a certified primary stroke center with staff ready to rapidly diagnose and treat strokes. The hospital is designated an Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) – providing the highest level of care to young patients.
Click here to take a video tour of the E.R.
About Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital is a nationally ranked, award-winning teaching hospital serving Chicago’s lake shore communities. It’s home to many world-renowned physicians and advanced medical technologies. For more information, visit sjh.reshealth.org.
About Provena Health – Resurrection Health Care, Now Joined as Presence Health
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital is part of Presence Health, a family of Catholic, not-for profit, healthcare services providing advanced medical care and exceptional service with compassion and hope. With locations in Chicago and its collar counties, as well as in East-Central Illinois, it is the largest Catholic health provider in Illinois, encompassing 12 hospitals, 27 long term care and senior residential facilities, numerous outpatient services, clinics, home health services, hospice, private duty, and comprehensive Behavioral Health services. Presence Health is sponsored by the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart, the Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary, the Sisters of the Holy Family, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and the Sisters of the Resurrection. Visit www.provenaresurrection.org to learn more.