Susan E. White
Resurrection Health Care
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Resurrection Health Care Honors Alderman Edward M. Burke with Second Annual CARES Award
Chicago 14th Ward Alderman and Chairman of the Finance Committee, Receives Award for Service to Community
Chicago, Ill. (June 28, 2011) – Edward M. Burke, 14th Ward Alderman, Chairman of the Finance Committee, City of Chicago, received the second annual Resurrection Health Care C.A.R.E.S. Award June 20 for his many contributions to the community.
Resurrection Health Care President and Chief Executive Officer Sandra Bruce presented Alderman Burke with the award, which is bestowed upon community leaders who exemplify Resurrection Health Care's core values of Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence, and Service, and who has made a significant impact on improving the lives of others in the community.
Alderman Burke is widely known as the Dean of the Chicago City Council. He is currently the city's longest-serving alderman and chairs the Council's powerful Committee on Finance. He serves as alderman of the 14th Ward, a primarily Hispanic area on the city's southwest side.
Alderman Burke is a lifelong resident of Chicago and a former Chicago Police Officer. He is also an avid student of Chicago history and the City Council's unofficial historian. He has co-authored three books: Inside the Wigwam: Chicago Presidential Conventions, 1860-1996; End of Watch: Chicago Police Killed in the Line of Duty, 1853-2006; and Glory & Government, Chicago's City Hall at 100.
His wife, Illinois Supreme Court Justice Ann Burke, is the visionary behind the Special Olympics which she co-founded with the support of Eunice Kennedy Shriver.
2011 Hospital CARES Award recipients include:
- Holy Family Medical Center - Dr. Margaret B. Lee, President of Oakton Community College
- Saints Mary & Elizabeth Medical Center - Chicago Police Department, 14th District Commander Linda Flores, and former 13th District Commander Judith Martin
- Saint Francis Hospital - Sister Rosemary Connelly, R.S.M., Executive Director of Misericordia Heart of Mercy
- Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center - George Borovik, Executive Director of the Portage Park Chamber of Commerce
- Saint Joseph Hospital - Bernard Beazley, Philanthropist and strong supporter of the Labouré Outpatient Center
- Resurrection Medical Center - Business leader Matthew Toles, Vice President & Branch Manager for PNC Bank
More than 200 people attended the breakfast at Maggiano's Restaurant on Clark Street in Chicago. Jay Levine, Chief Correspondent for CBS2 Chicago, emceed the event.
Sandra Bruce, RHC President and CEO; and Jay Levine, Chief Correspondent for CBS2 Chicago
Edward M. Burke, Chicago 14th Ward Alderman, and Sandra Bruce, RHC President and CEO
About Resurrection Health Care:
Resurrection Health Care is a nationally ranked leader in quality care. Our family of health care services provides advanced medical care and exceptional customer service with compassion and hope. Our hospitals, nursing homes, retirement communities, home health services, behavioral health programs and numerous outpatient services are conveniently located in many Chicagoland neighborhoods.